Brighter and younger looking eyes are possible at any age even though it is this area that often shows signs of aging first. The skin around the eyes is thinner than the skin on the rest of the face, which makes it more susceptible to crow’s-feet, fine lines, dark circles, droopiness, and other signs of aging and environmental damage.
Here are five tips for brighter and younger looking eyes:
- Be Gentle: When applying your eye cream or serum to the eye area, use your fourth finger (ring finger) and gently tap in the product. Be careful not to pull or tug this area.
- Sunscreen is important: The combination of constantly squinting your eyes and damaging UVA and UVB rays from the sun can speed up aging in the eye area. Wear your sunglasses whenever you are outside. Make sure that they have both UVA and UVB protection and are big enough to cover the entire eye area. Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen product of SPF30 or higher around the eye area.
- Antioxidants Are Key: To treat photo damage to the eye area, use an eye cream with antioxidants. These are preventative ingredients that can fight free radical damage caused by sun and other environmental properties.
- Stay Hydrated: Hydrated skin makes your face appear more youthful and plump and allows for smooth makeup application. Drinking plenty of water every day and eating water rich foods will help hydrate the skin from the inside out, and help any topical creams absorb more easily.
- Treat dark and baggy under eye circles: Look for creams with Vitamin C or retinol to improve the appearance of dark circles. For a quick on the spot treatment, try intense deep hydration patches to reduce puffiness instantly.